Old Shoes

May 03, 2018

Life is a pliable mold
Made up of stories,  told and untold
Some songs and poems are spoken
With no vocal chords...uttered in silence
Brave moments then, may have elevated
Us....but, some demons remain unconquered...
::::::
Life is aggravated by unshared memories
And unforgotten reveries...
True, there're things that can't be undone
Still....we maintain a long list of "uns"
And..."should've been done,"
They're like some old shoes, kept, and yet to be worn..

We can re-shape our future...start with an open mind
Change may mean progress, the future may be kind
This time...give space, so new strength may be born
So that those old shoes, gets a chance to be worn...


When I first saw this poem at the store I thought it looked nice. There were other nice poems too. My mom urged me to get the poem with the white laces. 

Something about this poem caught my attention. It wasn't a cheap poem, another thing my mom grudged about. I finally convinced her it was worth it by explaining all the ways I would use it. It is a poem that I keep it in the hallway by the door, not one that I dig out of the basement every summer.

Still reluctant, my mom asked me to try it on. I searched through the boxes for my size. For a split second I felt my heart sink because I couldn't find the words "16 lines" (116 words in Europe) on any of the boxes. But then, as if it was hiding in plain sight, my eyes focused on the center box and found the number. 

Ecstatic, I pulled the box from the masses, sat down, whipped away the tissue paper covering and tried the poem on. It was confusing at first, I needed to read it a couple of times to understand all the metaphors. But by the end, I figured out how the laces are knotted:

over, under, around and through,
don't regret the past
The future is new.

I think this poem is fit for just about anything. I could go to school in this poem. Go to the pool in this poem. Maybe I could even go to prom in this poem. No matter where I wear it, it will make a great impact.

I'll probably reminisce about this poem in three years, when the sole has worn through and there are holes in the fabric. I'll think back about buying it, all shiny and new. 

It is definitely a poem that will last.

-Sarah Matatov




You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This is a very creative way to approach the prompt. The formatting intrigues me, what motivated you to center the text? I enjoy how it is a Narrative, free verse without an obvious rhyme scheme or rhythm, yet still has the feel of poetry in that it describes emotions and an image, and flows well. The small rhyme snippet toward the end (over, under, around and through...) is simple on the surface but I feel can really have a deep meaning to the reader. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, this post straddles the fine line between poetry and narrative. It doesn't have the feel of poetry but still works well in a poetry format. I agree with the idea that the poem will last forever and that it is fit for just about anything. Great way to interpret and approach the prompt. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your interpation of this poem. It feels as though I'm being told a story in poetic format. Did you think of using a poem that was primarily about shoes? Will your poetic shoes change the future? Are your poetic shoes J's? I loved this post and it has me thinking of so many possible interpretations! Nice narrative and choice of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite enjoyed the metaphor of shoes and poetry. It was not entirely clear initially, but as you read through the story, it becomes clearer until the title of this post finally becomes clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you change all of the normal language associated with buying shoes to language that would be used when discussing poetry. It is well done, and recognizable. I especially enjoyed the line "It is a poem that I keep it in the hallway by the door, not one that I dig out of the basement every summer." It is an argument that I often make to justify a new pair of shoes. Creative post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how in the poem, you managed to sneak in some shoe analogies. I also like the rhyme scheme, which felt really natural and not like you forced the poem into it or wrote the poem around it. That smaller poem that you talked about was pretty cool as well. I think you told this whole story in a really creative way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute and fun overall! At first I thought you'd made a mistake by typing "poem" instead of "shoe"! I like the way that it shows a way to think about poetry, as something you take home with you and that grows important to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very creative approach to the prompt and I enjoyed reading the poem that you found to compliment the post. Comparing a poem to a new pair of shoes is actually a great analogy and I liked how you take the reader through the process of buying the poem. I could imagine going to the store to try on poems as shoes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete